(Cheap blog post I know, but this pint needs drinking)
Wanted to let you know (esp Mum) I made it safe to Bright, was a lovely drive although the Hume can get a bit boring. I stopped for lunch in a town where I saw a ute with a windshield sticker the whole width of the car that read in italics “Bundy Skuller”. Had a surprisingly really good chunky beef pie with sauce and a snot block.
The 3 phone doesn’t have any reception up here (no surprise there) but my Optus mobile internet is on high speed 3G so I can email.
Little to my knowledge it’s Autumn Gala this weekend and the place is packed out, can’t even get a roast of the day (it’s lamb) at the alpine hotel with all the nannas, although if I come around 7.30 or 8 it might open up (!)
Weather looks good for flying tomorrow, so fingers crossed!
Yes I’ll be careful!
I’m up and down. Someimes I’m so content here in my little corner of the world, knowing it’s temporary, but sometimes I feel depressed, lonely and frustrated! It could have something to do with the fact that the previous year was so stimulating and there was a lot going on, and I am just readjusting to reality. Also looming is the unknowing of what I’m going to be doing for the rest of the year, or where I’m going to be sitting most of the time. That might seem strange considering that past year I’ve been constantly on the move and not really living anywhere, but at least then I knew I had destinations and things to do there, and that I needed to find accommodation, and that it was going to end in April. Now that it has I don’t know what to do next!
I have my own dreams for what this year could hold for me, but time and money restraints, as well as a desire to further my career more so that ultimately I can do more of the things on my dream list, is somewhere looming there too. Life suddenly went from being really simple to being complex. But I think that’s just an illusion.
- Craving vegetables. Related : I really can’t see the appeal of a potato omlette baguette. (This wile in Spain)
- The European juggling convention??? What is that?
- Interesting how Fox news doesn’t eplain the reason for the protests at the soldiers’ funeral, even though they did yesterday, did they get some complaints (right wingnuts protesting at his funeral saying God killed him because he was openly gay).
- OH: But I don’t know what’s going on with my feet! It’s from that.. when you did the burn walk. (This from the top of the Swiss belhotel in Nusa Dua, Bali at breakfast by a couple of white clad sunglassesed overweight Australian middle class women)
- How was it?…… Beige…. (Re: Kuta and Bali area in general).
- Good separation of inside and outside makes me comfortable and feel at home. I like like balianese white slate with shoes off step, like a genkan. I’d like this concept in my future home.
- Australia is the best place to spend NYE.
- Diving is surprisingly easy but have got to have some balls, but fuck, I’m a computer programmer, how much ballsy bravery do I meet up with day to day? This is a nice outlet. (This while drinking a bit in Kuta at dinner).
- Australians living in London always get so offended when they suggest I move to London and I say that I have no interest whatsoever to live in London. (I’m more of a Parisian or New Yorker if not Melbournite! I have spent collectievly about 2 weeks in London and while wild and interesting it did not make me want to live there. Londoner say Paris is boring but that’s because they can’t find drugs to use there. And that suits me fine!)
- It takes a lot to ruffle me. I traveled a lot on a budget
- Is it immodest of me to say that it wasn’t a holiday and that it was simply my lifestyle?
- Snobby seminyak Australian walking around kuta saying “blow it up” to all the bogan night clubs (Autobiographical).
- Torquay is very fashiony and snobby now!
- Aussies are hot! (Even the guidos, of which there are a LOT (we call them wogs here) But damn! So much natural or… maintained beauty).
- I was a bit of a lost packet in the air networks today.
- Tmi Fridays but that was just an authentic balianese sambal ring of fire of I’ve ever had one.
- Another good thing about Australia: SBS and SBS food
Preparing myself for a perfectly blissful suburban lifestyle for the next few months. I’ve got my desk set up with my big screen, my gym membership in Geelong, keys to the father’s car, the free to air digital TV guide on my iPhone, money set aside for an iPad, and I’m planning to visit the city on weekends.
Yes, I’m going to be totally bridge and tunnel for the next two months. I’m going to be cooking, dieting, working out, programming (work) and doing some paragliding practice and diving in Queensland if I can. Oh and a trip to Sydney too.
Basically two months is as long as I’ll last before I start to really feel like an alien who doesn’t belong here!
Mejavos, trendy little cafes made from converted houses. There’s lots of those. There is, in Geelong and the Surf Coast, if one knows where (the Internet helps), pockets of gentrification – diamonds encrusted in the surrounding rough. Those should keep me going!